Wednesday 13 January 2010

Sublime to the ridiculous

Two things of note have happened in the last couple of days. Firstly, the Broken Bells photo was published in NME and came out today, so go and buy it, please. Then write to the editor and tell them how much you like my photo specifically above all the other ones. Then go listen to Broken Bells here




And here's the image in its preferred crop:

Broken Bells 2 crop 2

Just so you know, that was lit with one umbrella to the right, using the very edge of the beam to make the light on the face a little less flat, then there was a speedlight shot at the wall to make the grey lines and shadows.

And now comes the stupid part. Out riding my BMX on ramps for the first time in many, many months, I slide out and roll my ankle. This is a result of an old injury from 2005, where I rolled it past 90 degrees and somehow managed to not break it, so now I have no tendons or ligaments left on the right side of my right foot and it can roll with barely any force applied to it. I usually wear an ankle brace when I ride as a result, but I couldn't find it when I got home. This is what happens when you think 'what's the worst that could happen?'

IMG00058-20100112-2235
Well, I guess this could happen.

Then, I managed to outdo myself. After figuring out that I could probably ride home if I pedalled with my heal, my chain then snapped, sending me knees and elbow first to the tarmac. So, now stranded and injured in North London, 15 miles from home and with no public transport willing to take a bike, I had to stay at a friend's house in Camden. And then I woke up and found out we'd been snowed on again, making my journey home that much more fun. I was not a happy bunny. Luckily, I should be all healed up relatively quickly.

1 comment: