Tuesday 3 November 2009

The ones that don't get away.

David Millar

Sometimes forces beyond your control conspire to do everything in their power to rigorously screw up your day. Want a simple shot of something standing RIGHT THERE in front of you? That's when your camera mysteriously back-focuses. Got a total one off shot at something? That'll be when your flash misfires.

Then, every once in a while, the heavens will align, Zeus himself (or, if you're not of that affiliation, the Flying Spaghetti Monster) will smile down upon you from Mount Olympus and deign that this will be the time it goes right. This shot of Dave Millar was one of those times.

I was sat down at the top of one of the climbs, and I caught a flash of red, white and blue out of the corner of my eye. The AF-on button got pressed and I managed to get one frame off. This is usually a surefire out-of-focus 'bin it' moment. Not this time. Somehow I'd managed to shoot a photo of a specific rider through a bunch of riders about 30 deep from side to side, and not only is he sharp, he's also perfectly framed by the riders in front of him. I guess sometimes luck is just on your side.

I was shooting in Mendrisio for Cycle Sport Magazine, and although the feature I wanted to shoot didn't quite go to plan, you should be seeing my photos in some upcoming issues. The Dave Millar one ran in the World's edition of Cycling Weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment